Friday, February 15, 2008

One of the worst moments so far as a teacher

I knew that sometime I would have to go through something like this, but I didn't anticipate it so early in my teaching career. Today one of my students passed away. She got in a car accident last night and died in surgery today. The students were incredibly quiet and obviously upset today. At the end of the day we went to class meetings where the principal told each class that she had passed away and I have to say that that was one of the worst moments of my life. It was a burst of crying and hugging. I didn't know Steph Heinse that well, but I know that she will be missed by this community and school. Her class is going to have a long rest of their senior year. Things like the death of someone so young are things that you can't comprehend because there's no reason why something like this should happen. I hope that the students can learn from this and really appriciate the people who are important in their lives.

No comments: