Saturday, March 20, 2010

Life being 26.

I have been 26 for five days now and thus far I seem to be surviving being over the hill of my twenties. I will admit that I was not nessesarily excited about turning 26, but then I remembered how awful it was being 25 and decided I would go through with the change. As usual I was quite excited about my birthday. I just love having day where people can celebrate that they care that you were born. It's not that I feel like my birthday is a holiday for everyone else, but I enjoy people shouting out a little birthday wish. Unfortunately when you get old, it's just not as fun because there are no birthday sleep overs or themed parties of any sort. I went to school where numerous children shouted happy birthday to me and guessed my age at 23ish. Apparently none of them can do the math from when I arrived here to now, but that's ok, it's the thought that counts. At least they didn't guess me older than I am. I also dislike that when you are older and have a birthday that it's just like any other day, aside from the birthday shouting. I spent the evening checking papers and then went to musical practice. Just an average day. Right before I went to bed I talked to my dad. I am not sure what exactly came over me but the minute I hung up the phone I burst in to uncontrollable sobbing, not just a few tears, but full on crying. Even though I had been a bit emotional that evening(I mean I could literally feel the wrinkles appearing on my face) it still came as a bit of a surprise to me. I sort of thought that I was crying because there were a few people who apparently forgot about the day of my birth and did not contact me in any way. Although I was(am) upset about that, not because it's my birthday and the world revolves around me, but because I generally try to make an effort to mention to others that I am happy they were born. Anyway, after about 10 minutes of crying I realized that the real issue wasn't the people who didn't call, it was the one who couldn't. All I wanted before I went to bed on my 26th birthday was to hug my family and have talked to my grandma. This is the first year of my life that she will not be in it and that is not a thought I like to deal with. I guess what I'm learning is that the older you get, the harder life gets, but at the same time there are so many great things to experience even with the sometimes horrible bumps along the way. I just hope that year 26 is better than the last one.

No comments: